Petillant-Naturel is definitely trending in the wine industry. Although this style of wine actually has a long history, (dating back to the 16th century!) we are just now starting to see it get the recognition and love it deserves. In case you are new to these delicious, fizzy wines, we wanted to give you the run down. Here are a few steps to understanding and enjoying this style. Cheers!
1. Pet-Nat is short for Pétillant-Naturel which literally means "naturally sparkling".
2. This style is made in the "ancestral method", meaning the initial fermentation finishes in the bottle without any additives, imparting a gentle carbonation.
3. These wines are all natural! It goes straight from tank to bottle, and is bottled with the dead yeast cells intact, creating its signature cloudiness.
4. It's a happy accident with roots back to 1531. Winemakers like Chaussard in the Loire Valley experimented with organic viticulture and minimum intervention in the early 1990s and this style emerged on accident, but soon became an intentional approach.
5. It's quintessentially a fun food wine to share with friends! We love these with cheese + charcuterie of all kinds. But they are also a great pairing for Mexican food, especially tacos!
6. They can be made from many different varieties and regions. Some of our favorites in the U.S. are Onward Malvasia Bianca from Suisun Valley and the Los Pilares Muscat from San Diego!